In 1903, the Town of Cheektowaga had a population of approximately 5,000 people. A group of concerned citizens met with the Town Board on June 17th at the home of Joseph Forestor to discuss the creation of a fire district. Two petitions had been filed, one with 32 signatures sought the creation of the fire district. The other with 64 signatures, opposed the creation. Since most of those in opposition lived in the northern area of the town, it was proposed that only the southern area of the town be in the fire district.
As a first step, the Town Board established a water district on July 2, 1903 in the Walden Avenue area and contracted with the Depew and Lake Erie Water Company for ten hydrants at $65 per annum for five years. A later determination was made to add three more hydrants raising the assessment to $845.
The first meeting called to order by the citizens of the Walden Avenue area to create a fire district and to incorporate a volunteer fire company was held at the home of Joseph Forestor, at Randolph and Doat, on September 3, 1903. Joseph Forestor was elected chairman and Peter Fick was elected secretary.
Mr. Fossett moved that the fire company should be incorporated under the name of Rescue Hose Company No. 1 of Cheektowaga. Mr. Hasselback moved that the chair appoint a committee of four, together with the Chairman, to ascertain the best ways and means to secure a hose cart and hose and also to ascertain the best location that can be secured for a “Hose House”. The chair appointed the following committee: Jacob Hasselback, Bernard Fossett, Louis Butch and Peter Fick.
A motion was made by Jacob Hasselback that the committee be instructed to secure by-laws and a constitution to govern the company.
The Town Board unanimously approved a resolution on September 25, 1903, approving the incorporation of Recue Volunteer Hose Company No. 1 of Cheektowaga New York and “That it be allowed to conduct its operations of extinguishing and preventing of fires in the duly established fire district of said town.”
The company received its incorporation papers from the State of New York at a meeting on November 21, 1903. This made Rescue Hose Co. #1 the first officially incorporated and recognized fire company in the Town of Cheektowaga.
The first officers of Rescue Hose Co #1, elected on September 8, 1903 were:
|Chief: Bernard Fossett||President: Jacob Hasselback|
|Assistant Chief: Jacob Rosart||Vice President: Joseph Forestor|
|Captain: H.F Weiberg||Secretary: H.F Weiberg|
|First Lieutenant: William Butch||Treasurer: Peter Fick|
|Second Lieutenant: William Zimmer||Trustee: E. Enerst
Trustee: Louis Butch
Trustee: George Lohr